Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cricut Explore Tutorial - Embossing With Design Space


Hello. Back again with a tutorial on how you can use the Explore to emboss. Now this is not direct embossing, using the score tool to emboss. This is how you can achieve the embossed look on all your papercrafting projects.

The first one I will show you is faux embossing. This is a cheat in a sort because there is no actual embossing to it. This technique gives you the embossed look. You will cut out an image and just glue it to the background. To achieve this look, you will need to use the same paper for the background and the cut itself. 
I used image #M101137 from Artfully Sent cartridge and White Daisy cardstock, both from Close To My Heart. Check out my {tutorial} on how to take the cards from Artfully Sent to make them overlays using slice. 


Glue the cut to the background. You can do a second layer to get more of a deeper "embossed" look. 



Next, you can make your own embossing plates to use in your Cuttlebug.  These won't be as deep of an embossing as normal folders, since this will only be one sided folder. 
I used two layers of chipboard to make this. But I would recommend doing three layers for a deeper embossed.  I backed with an acetate sheet, but you can use another sheet of chipboard. My chipboard is actually a backing of a paper pad.







I used image #M10118F from Artfully Sent Cartridge. I also used the same technique as above. I really doing this with all the sleeve cards found in this cartridge.  
Use the custom setting of thick chipboard. Cut twice to make sure it was a clean cut.  My first cut was perfect, but the second one didn't cut a clean. Part of the chipboard got stuck on the blade while cutting. If this happens, pause the cut and clean the blade. 


Next is making a stencil to use with either embossing paste, or use Versamark or pigment ink to use embossing powders. 

I used presentation covers for my acetate for stencils. It is a thicker acetate that works beautifully. And I love how the Explore cuts this. I used my old machine to cut this before and it just etched it. Which looked cool, but I didn't want to figure out the magic combo to cut it.  Use the custom setting for stencil and do 3 passes. 


I used image #M101204 from Artfully Sent. 


I made my own embossing paste. Found this recipe on many sites. Baking Soda, White Acrylic paint and Mod Podge. 



Here is the stencil with Versamark and gold embossing powder. 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  Please check out all the other tutorials on my {tutorial page}.

To make sure you don't miss out on any new tutorials, artwork or members only specials, as it is easy to miss posts on Facebook and I don't post to all of them, join my {Facebook group}



Subscribe to my {Youtube Channel} for updates on new Create Your Card videos.

I offer one on one classes for Cricut Design Space. Stop by for more {details}.
 Close To My Heart products that have been used in this post can be purchased at {nikkageers.blogspot.com}

Artfully Sent Cricut Cartrdige Z3017
White Daisy Cardstock 1385
Versamark Ink Pad Z891
Gold Embossing Powder Z2066


No comments:

Post a Comment