Monday, June 22, 2015

Let Them Eat Cake at Heart 2 Heart

wrrereeee
Welcome. We have a new challenge for you over at {Heart 2 Heart}

  

This week is all about cake.

If you have seen some of my projects before, I love to use cakes as inspirations.  I get them at {CakeWrecks.com}  Now normally this site does what it says, show funny wrecks of professional cakes. But every Sunday they showcase beautiful, artful cakes. Which is where I get my inspiration. When I was told about this challenge, I knew I had a few steampunk cakes I was itching to do. 

If you have no idea what steampunk is, it is a cross between Victorian / Edwardian and 1900 technology. So it's a lot of lace and corsets and metal and gears. If you still don't quite understand, think Wild Wild West, the one with Will Smith. I have a whole board with steampunk ideas. You can even find smash ups with steampunk. Like steampunk Ariel, or steampunk Darth Vader. 

So back to my project. 


 I chose to use this steampunk cake. It is one of my favorites I have pinned. Simple yet awesome. You can find the {pin} here.


I used gears that can be found on Artiste cartridge. (#M3F34A, #M3B7A2). And the butterfly is from Art Philosophy (#M3EACD). Normally the metal used in steampunk is copper, but I did not have any copper ink, paper or embossing powder. So I had to use what I had. So I mixed silver and gold to make my own mix. It was hard to get the coloring right on the photo. But it looks cool. I got the hammered look by overheating the embossing powder until it started to bubble. It was hard to get that look consistently, so some are only half textured. Be careful, you do not want to burn the paper. Especially if you will be seeing the paper. It turns brown and ruins the paper.

Another detail you can't see in the photo is that I copied the embossed lines on the cake. I used a tool used in sewing to transfer pattern lines onto your fabric. It kinda looks like the gears. Gives the same look as it does on the cake. (side note, it it hard to spell gears right when you last name is Geers. I don't know how many times I had to go back and spell them right)

I hope you enjoyed my project for you today. We would love if you were to join us at {Heart 2 Heart}. Remember, you must use some Close To My Heart product to play along. If you don't have any, you can order some at {nikkageers.ctmh.com}. And then come back to play. You have all month long to play along with all of the months challenges.


If you would like to check out my other tutorials, visit my {tutorial page}.
To make sure you don't miss out on any new tutorials, artwork, videos or members only specials, as it is easy to miss posts on Facebook and I don't post to all of them, join my {Facebook group}.
Subscribe to my {Youtube Channel} for updates on new Create Your Card videos.
I offer one on one classes for Cricut Design Space. Stop by for more {details}
.If you would to like to recreate any of my projects, you can order the materials at {nikkageers.ctmh.com}.
Recipe:
Stamps -
   C1605  Happy To Be Friends
Paper -
   1388  Colonial White Cardstock
   1385  White Daisy Cardstock
   X1410  Colonial White Cards And Envelopes

Ink -
   Z2130  Indian Corn Blue Ink Pad
   Z891  Versamark Ink Pad
   Versamark Pen (non CTMH)

Other -
   Z2067  Silver Embossing Powder
   Z2066  Gold Embossing Powder
   Z1686  Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge
   Z1790   Artiste Cricut Cartrdige
   Z555  Craft Heater

3 comments:

  1. This is so COOL! I have lots of friends who are steampunk fans. I never thought of copying something like your inspiration cake for a card. BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your interpretation of this week's challenge! That cake is amazing and I adore your card. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interpretation of the cake. Clean, lovely card. I think these types are the hardest cards to do.

    ReplyDelete